Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Dick McAfee's Triumph Hero

In his retirement, DICK McAFEE no.88 and I became email buddies through which he would reply with hand written letters back to me via email. He favored this to a keyboard and would ask his wife Ramona to scan and email them to me. Before he passed on, he shared with me many stories of the "San Jose Flat Track Gang" that are legendary. This is one of those letters that describes his hero on a Triumph, a racer who was my dads close friend. I really miss those precious times opening up a new surprise letter from Dick. He is missed. I hope you enjoy some insightful words from one of flat-tracks great men of the sport, and a darn great racer as well!

March, 2005

Eric,

Tell your dad Cancilla was my inspiration when I started riding in '48. At that time he was the best Triumph rider in district 36, and he was one of only 3 or 4 Triumph riders there was. I was impressed with that little 500 cc Speed Twin competing and winning against 1000 cc 74 OHV Harley's!!! He was and still is my Triumph hero.

In these days due to competition committee members dominated by Harley dealers, that's what Phillie had to deal with in TT racing.

Of course in flat-track we Triumph riders had to compete with 650 cc Harley's which although the Triumphs could hold their own on short tracks, but could not on a regular basis compete with them on 1/2 and miles. Later on in Hugh's time as Triumph mechanics became more knowledgeable how to build them, Hugh could not only compete, but beat the Harley's at times.

Dick McAfee #88

Image courtesy McAfee collection 2005




6 comments:

  1. Its an incredible joy perusing your post.Its brimming with data I am searching for and I want to post a remark that "The substance of your post is amazing" Great work. carbon wheelset

    ReplyDelete
  2. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings.Thank you for caring about your content. Portia Antonia Alexis Neuroeconomics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well.I am very impressed with your vision and insight. Tokenization

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. lottovip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a really good article.You make this information interesting and engaging.You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing. Goldshell miners

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel extremely cheerful to have seen your site page and anticipate such a large number of all the more engaging circumstances perusing here. Much appreciated yet again for every one of the points of interest. PBNs backlinks

    ReplyDelete